THE WAY FORWARD FOR THE FBC STUDENTS’ UNION ELECTIONS27/5/2021The Deputy Vice-Chancellor of Fourah Bay College, Professor LawrenceKamara had a successful engagement with all the aspirants for theStudents’ Union presidency at the DVC Committee Room, FBC on 26th May 2021.The purpose of the meeting was to discuss all critical issuesconfronting the Students’ Union elections set for 2nd June 2021.Other stakeholders in the meeting were top officers from the RegentPolice Division, the Electoral Committee of FBC, the Deputy RegistrarFBC and other members of the FBC Administration. In his openingremarks, the DVC, FBC emphasized the need for a transparent and credibleelectoral process in order to have an effective and productivestudents’ leadership that can work with the administration to regainthe glory of FBC. He therefore clarified certain issues including theeligibility of a student to contest and to vote, the date for the elections, theprovision of the voters’ list, and the security arrangement to guaranteepeace and stability throughout the electoral process.The LUC of the Regent Police Division admonished all aspirants toensure that their supporters behave in accordance with the laws of Sierra Leone andregulations of the College to strengthen a peaceful atmosphere for them to have free,fair and credible elections. The aspirants were given opportunity todiscuss those critical issues put forward by the DVC and the DeputyRegistrar. They unanimously resolved that:
1. The Elections will be conducted on 2nd June 2021
2. All campaigns will be done either on social media or main stream media
3. No gathering is permitted on campus to campaign
4. The Presidential Debate should be on Radio and that will be coordinated by the USL Media Director
5. The voters’ list will be ready and exhibited before the end of this week
6. NEC will assist to conduct the elections in terms of providing ballot boxes and supervisors on the Election Day
7. All polling stations will be at the Amphitheatre, FBC
8. Polling stations will be arranged according to Departments/ Divisions
9. Every aspirants will have two agents in every polling station
10. Elections will start at 9:00 am and end at 3:00 pm
11. The cut off time for Registration of students to participate in the Elections is 20th May 2021
12. Every voter should have authentic or valid identification (College ID Card, passport, voter card, driving license, NASSIT Card, Library card etc),
13. Any aspirant that would attempt to destabilize the electoral process will be disqualified
14. Any student or group of students that may use violent or any other form of disorderliness that can interrupt the electoral process will be summoned to the Discipline Committee for investigation
15. Police will be around to ensure peaceful atmosphere from now untothe elections.The Elections Committee will print 2,500 ballot papers because theexpected number of registered students is around 2000.
The aspirants thanked the Administration for the constructive andproductive engagement and promised protecting the reputation of FBCand the University throughout the electoral process.
Tonya Musa (Ph.D)
© USL Media Directorate
Tonya Musa, PhD
Director of Media, Alumni & International Relations, University of Sierra Leone.